Sunday, April 29, 2007

Bustan: an orchard overflowing with diverse abundance

I've finally landed a job with a local NGO (this is Sera speaking, Adam doesn't have time to get a job) called Bustan. I am serving as the Development Coordinator for this group focusing on environmental justice in the Negev. I have a great deal to learn as plants aren't really my thing, although my Dad cringes to hear me say it. I am expecting a full list of tips and secrets from all of the green-thumbs in my life as a shared result of this new professional endeavor of mine and your secret knowledge of all things green and growing.

Last week I journeyed with a group of about 30 to a small village called Tel Sheva. Tel Sheva is home to around 22,000 people and is the second poorest community in Israel. Its just about 10 minutes from Be'er Sheba. Bustan is involved with a traditional garden and teaching site there run by a local Bedouin woman. Here are some photos, and I am waiting for suggestions from you farmers, activists, and big thinkers for how to raise some money for projects like this one committed to women's empowerment, greening the Negev desert, and environmental sustainability.

The garden itself is a circle, merging ancient and modern gardening techniques to maximize irrigation and accessibility of the plants.
Here is a dramtic photo of the cracked earth. This is not an uncommon site here in the desert, yet all kinds of beings continue to survive, even thrive. Magic, to be sure.

This is Mariam, a local Bedouin entrepreneur working closely with Bustan. It is Mariam's family farm on which all of this greening is taking place that you are seeing here. She has started a small business marketing organic soaps, teas, oils, and other beauty products. Quite a go-getter! Here she is leading a workshop on soap making to visiting volunteers and other curious seekers who just dropped in for the the day to learn something from this wise lady.

A true professional: sealing deals for her products while working in the garden. An inspiration to women everywhere!
This is how she makes the soap, here it is being poured into a mold. It will be cut, after it hardens, and wrapped, taken to market, and sold. Bringing a soothing sense of joy and aromatic pleasure to its new owner.
No experience is complete for me without tea, and thankfully the Bedouin are as into it as I am. Note the sugar, so so so sweet.

Here are the quarters that the volunteers enjoy while spending time on the farm with Mariam and her family. Volunteers come from around the world to spend time with Bustan working on any number of projects. This is one of them that seems to be very popular with the ladies.

Somehow, there is water. I have not learned the secret yet for how the local inhabitants know how to find it. But I've added that to my list of things to master before I leave this incredible part of the world.

So that was my first trip to the field with Bustan. Please check them out on-line: www.bustan.org. I am hoping that I will be able to help this small, energized organization secure the funding it needs to continue to support local communities, and the women living there. I am taking suggestions, if any of you have ideas, and please, pop over for a visit. You won't be sorry that you did!

As it is clear that I am getting back to my hippie roots, I leave you with this quick video. Take the time to watch this, its worth it. Sending each of you a multitude of hugs from us, until next time...

No comments: